United Nations and international organization
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA)
The Global Compact
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
The UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
The International Organisation of La Francophonie
United Nations labels
The International Year of Youth (August 2011 – 2012) label
The United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005 – 2014) label
United Nations and international organizations
The ScenaRio 2012 project will prepare the Rio+20 Conference by giving credit to young people’s opinions from around the world and share their visions of sustainable development and global governance. The project has received the official support of many agencies of the United Nations.
- UN DESA helps more than 50 countries all over the world meeting their economic, social and environmental challenges. The department supports the efforts made to attain the Millennium Development Goals, which aim at eradicating poverty through a worldwide partnership for development.
- The Global Compact is a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Thousands of companies in more than 100 countries are now participants.
- UN-HABITAT, the United Nations agency for human settlements, helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in dignity. UN-HABITAT works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development.
- The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is making concrete contributions to developing the capacities of tens of thousands of people around the world. UNITAR is therefore concentrating on the means of delivering adult training and professional learning; how to monitor and evaluate their impact on behaviour; and how to capitalize on capacity development.
- UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
- The Alliance of Civilizations aims to improve understanding and cooperative relations among nations and peoples across cultures and religions. It also helps to counter the forces that fuel polarization and extremism.
- The International Organisation of La Francophonie represents the countries that share the French language. It has 75 member states and governments (56 members and 19 observers) on five continents. It represents a unique group for whom the sharing of a common language is a starting point for political, economic and cultural cooperation between its members.
United Nations labels
ScenaRio 2012 officially obtained several labels of the United Nations, thus legitimating its approach.
- In its resolution proclaiming the Year, the General Assembly called on governments, civil society, individuals and communities worldwide to support activities at local and international levels to mark the event. Under the theme ‘Dialogue and Mutual Understanding,’ the Year aims to encourage dialogue and understanding across generations and promote the ideals of peace, respect for human rights and freedoms, and solidarity.
- This initiative lead by UNESCO seeks to integrate the principles, values, and practices of sustainable development into all aspects of education and learning, in order to address the social, economic, cultural and environmental problems we face in the 21st century.